Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Recently I have become interested in the idea of using homemade cleaning products.  Vinegar seems to be as useful as anything else.  It kills mold, sanitizes, acts as a fabric softener...the list goes on and on.  I am having tons of fun (weird...I know) using Borax in my cleaning as well.  AND don't get me started on the benefits of Baking Soda!! 

I got curious about making homemade laundry detergents and wanted to give it a try,  Many of the liquid recipes seem somewhat involved to make.  Then the detergent is goopy and will separate...really not something I want to invest a ton of time into while I'm trying to figure this process out.  However, I found a recipe for powdered detergent (although I'm not usually a big fan of powdered detergents generally) that seemed reasonable and is easy enough to throw together.  I got my recipe from www.tipnut.com and I highly recommend the site.

So here's the recipe:

Powdered Laundry Detergent
2 cups Fels Naptha Soap (finely grated)
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Borax
  • Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container.
  • Use 2 tablespoons per full load.
BTW- with a little research I learned that the soap should be finely grated for better dissolving but I did find someone who uses a regular cheese grater and has it in larger pieces.  She says that it works well for her.  I found that the soap doesn't mix as well in bigger shreds with the Borax and Washing Soda which are both incredibly fine powders.  So I recommend that you finely grate them.  I mixed up the batch and have the first load in the wash.  I will be curious to see the results.

ANOTHER BTW- don't worry about keeping a tablespoon near your washer.  Simply use your old dispenser cup from your last bottle of detergent...that cute little line that has a number 1 by it equals about 2 tablespoons.  I checked it...it works. 

YET ANOTHER BTW (ok this will be the last one!)- be sure to use washing soda rather than baking soda.  They are two totally different products and work completely differently...you can add a small amount of vinegar (1/8 cup) to the load to act as a fabric softener but I read some conflicting information about still needing a dryer sheet...I'll check this one out in more depth as we get into winter and things get really staticy around here...lastly, you can add a few drops of essential oils to your recipe to help with scent....PHEW, I think it got it all in!!!

I know, more silly information....but I am having so much fun doing this and I just want to share it all with you!!!  Have fun organizing!!!

oh AND...check out www.vinegartips.com!  It gives you 1001 ways to use white distilled vinegar! 

1 comment:

  1. OK so the first load is done! Clothes are clean and in the dryer. No clumps of undissolved grated soap. No funky smells (I was worried that it would smell funny). Success!!! Yeay for homemade laundry detergent!

    ReplyDelete